With the DG120 Drass continues the legacy of our Italian-made Midget Submarines, based on the traditional design which was a huge success worldwide. The Midget’s success is due to the geniality of design, its simple hull construction, the reliability of the on-board equipment, its ease of operability and maintainability.
Furthermore, the majority of Midget Submarines manufactured in the second half of the nineties have made the end user self-sufficient in the operation and maintenance of a craft dedicated to covert operations, including disassembly and reassembly for over-land transportation.
DRASS DG120 COMPACT DESIGN PRINCIPLE
The design of the Drass DG120 is based on an operational concept which makes this craft more similar to that of an aircraft than a naval vessel; due to its limited size, when not in operation, the Midget Submarine can be stored dry in a hangar and launched for mission only. This feature facilitates maintenance and increases the longevity of the craft, and more importantly, make it less detectable by air recognition.
Like an aircraft, the Midget Submarine is fitted with all the weapons and equipment required for mission, assuming the most appropriate configuration.
A typical Drass DG120 configuration for patrol, attack and intrusion mission consists of 4 bow light torpedoes. The Midget Submarine hull is composed of a main pressure hull divided in four parts with separate battery containers; these vessels are bolted together and can be disassembled for maintenance, testing and road transportation.
DRASS DG120 MIDGET OPERATIONAL TASKS
Thanks to its smaller dimensions in comparison with most other Midget Submarines, the Drass DG120 is even more effective and undetectable in shallow waters. Additionally, it is equipped with 4 wire-guided medium torpedoes, representing a serious threat for an enemy presence at sea. The Drass DG120 is the ideal combination of endurance, maneuverability, stealth features, performance and versatility on assigned missions.It has been specifically designed for the following operational tasks:
• Attack of strategic targets in open sea by commandos (oil platforms and terminals, sea lines)
• Anti-ship and anti-submarine attacks with 4 wire-guided light torpedoes (20 km range)
• Patrol of coastal areas as a deterrent against enemy ships approaching own coastal targets
• Intelligence gathering of acoustic, electronic and communication information
• Inflatable boat deployment for commandos and intelligence missions
• Deployment of mines in shallow waters / harbor mouths
- Submarine Steering Station
- Submarine Platform Management System
- Navigation / Combat System
- Passive Sonar
- Obstacle Avoidance Sonar
- SWR Intercept Sonar (OPTIONAL)
- RWR Radar Warning Receiver
- ESM, DF– Electronic Support Measure, Direction Finding (OPTIONAL)
- Optronic Masts
- HF Transceiver
- UHF/VHF Transceiver
- Underwater Communication System
- Sound Powered Telephone
- Intercom Network
- INS – Inertial Navigation System
- Echo Sounder with Sound Velocity
- Doppler Velocity Log